Mercia is a values-based organisation built around being Growth Focused, Trusted, Connected, Responsive and Responsible/Respectful. We work hard to create a workplace which accepts every person’s differences, and our culture is strong and inclusive. We are proud to hear the team describe us as ‘friendly, fun, collaborative, welcoming, exciting, down to earth and caring’. We believe that creating an environment where you can be your best at work makes us stronger.
We know from research that you may not be tempted to apply for a role if you don’t meet all of the experience requirements, but if you can demonstrate that you have transferable skills for this role, then we welcome your application. Equally, if you need any reasonable adjustments through the application or interview process, please just ask us.
While we see this vacancy as a full-time position, we know that ‘normal’ office hours aren’t always doable, so we have a Flex+ policy in place which allows for core hours and some homeworking during the working week. You would be expected to be fully mobile and travel to other Mercia offices and investee companies is required.
In this role you would have responsibility for:
- Undertaking business development and self-generating proposals, actively promoting the Fund and its activities to its target audiences.
- Keeping abreast of business developments, trends and business opportunities.
- Developing a broad network of introducers to demonstrate own potential deal flow.
- Identifying and assessing suitable new SME loans of between £0.150m to £2m to achieve annual investment targets (at a team and individual level).
- Carrying out due diligence analysis on potential investee companies, involving all relevant stakeholders.
- Making recommendations for structuring a transaction, taking into account the specifics of the deal.
- Negotiating deals and executing transactions, including the technical structuring of competitive investment packages to meet the requirements of the Debt Fund.
- Preparing written reports and verbal presentations in respect of the deal to Investment Committee.
- Completion of all relevant financial, people and legal elements of any transaction, including management of any due diligence process and liaising with external advisors, as appropriate.
- Monitoring of the investee business immediate post deal to ensure compliance with post drawdown terms and conditions, ahead of handover to Portfolio team as appropriate.
- Ensuring service level standards and turnaround times are met.
- Ensuring all regulatory and customer requirements are complied with.
- Mentoring the team and developing less experienced colleagues.
- Supporting the Fund Principal in all aspects of successfully delivering and promoting the fund.
- Previous experience in a similar role within an SME lending environment.
- Evidence of solid academic achievement.
- Financially and technically competent, with a thorough knowledge of and a sound track record of lending.
- Will ideally have an established introducer network within the West Midlands region. Able to positively promote FDC/Mercia and build a strong contact base with intermediaries and deal referrers.
- A committed professional with a clear understanding of the obligations of working within a team in a regulated environment.
- A strong communicator, both written and verbally and able to build relationships with Mercia teams and portfolio companies and advisors.
- Sound commercial acumen, analytical and project management skills.
- Commercially aware with a sound level of judgement.
- A highly skilled negotiator.
- Ambitious and self-motivated.
- Strong work and team ethics. We are a collaborative team and so it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Connected, Responsible/Respectful, Trusted).
- You must be able to drive and be prepared to travel to our other offices and client sites.
- You should have the right to work in the UK.
What we can offer you:
In addition to your base salary, we offer a broad and exciting range of perks and benefits, including family-friendly policies, wellbeing support, Mercia Spirit charity days, regular 1-2-1’s, mentoring and support with training and career development.
We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender realignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age. In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you prefer to use.