Mercia is a values-based organisation built around being Growth Focused, Trusted, Connected, Responsive and Responsible/Respectful. We work hard to create a workplace which accepts every person’s differences, and our culture is strong and inclusive. We are proud to hear the team describe us as ‘friendly, fun, collaborative, welcoming, exciting, down to earth and caring’. We believe that creating an environment where you can be your best at work makes us stronger.
We know from research that you may not be tempted to apply for a role if you don’t meet all of the experience requirements, but if you can demonstrate that you have transferable skills for this role, then we welcome your application. Equally, if you need any reasonable adjustments through the application or interview process, please just ask us.
While we see this vacancy as a full-time position, we know that ‘normal’ office hours aren’t always doable, so we have a Flex+ policy in place which allows for core hours and some homeworking during the working week. You would be expected to be fully mobile and travel to other Mercia offices and investee companies is required.
In this role you would have responsibility for:
- Developing a broad network of introducers to demonstrate own potential deal flow.
- Undertaking business development and self-generating proposals, actively promoting the Fund and its activities to its target audiences.
- Keeping abreast of business developments, trends and business opportunities.
- Identification and assessment of suitable new SME loan investment opportunities to achieve annual investment targets (at a team and individual level). Loans in range £0.15m – £2m.
- Carrying out due diligence analysis on potential investee companies, involving all relevant stakeholders.
- Making recommendations for structuring a transaction, taking into account the specifics of the deal.
- Negotiating deals and executing transactions, including the technical structuring of competitive investment packages to meet the requirements of the Fund.
- Completion of all relevant financial, people and legal elements of any transaction, including management of any due diligence process and liaising with external advisors.
- Post investment after-care, comprising management and monitoring of the financial and operational performance of the investee company and supporting and giving guidance on its operational and strategic issues.
- Working with our Portfolio team as appropriate.
- Ensuring service level standards and turnaround times are met.
- Ensuring all regulatory and customer requirements are complied with.
- Preparing written reports and verbal presentations to the Investment Committee in respect of investment recommendations.
- Working with the rest of the team.
- Supporting the Fund Principal in all aspects of successfully delivering and promoting the fund.
- Previous investment management experience combined with a strong technical background.
- Sound commercial acumen and analytical skills.
- Evidence of solid academic achievement.
- Will ideally have an established introducer network within the West Midlands.
- Demonstrate business acumen and analytical skills.
- Strong work and team ethics.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ambitious and self-motivated.
- Experience of working with potential and investee companies at Executive level.
- We are a collaborative team and so it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Connected, Responsible/Respectful, Trusted).
- You must be able to drive and be prepared to travel to our other Mercia offices and client sites.
- You should have the right to work in the UK.
What we can offer you:
In addition to your base salary, we offer a broad and exciting range of perks and benefits, including family-friendly policies, wellbeing support, Mercia Spirit charity days, regular 1-2-1’s, mentoring and support with training and career development.
We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender realignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age. In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you prefer to use.