Portfolio Manager - West Midlands
This is a fantastic opportunity to join our West Midlands based Debt team, with the addition of a Portfolio Manager.
You’ll be responsible for working closely with our clients from our SME “Debt Funding” businesses to manage and analyse the financial and commercial aspects for each portfolio company. This includes supporting the post-investment monitoring of the loan investments, including exit management.
Mercia is a values-based organisation built around being Growth Focused, Trusted, Connected, Responsive and Responsible/Respectful. We work hard to create a workplace which accepts every person’s differences, and our culture is strong and inclusive. We are proud to hear the team describe us as ‘friendly, fun, collaborative, welcoming, exciting, down to earth and caring’. We believe that creating an environment where you can be your best at work makes us stronger.
We know from research that you may not be tempted to apply for a role if you don’t meet all of the experience requirements, but if you can demonstrate that you have transferable skills for this role, then we welcome your application. Equally, if you need any reasonable adjustments through the application or interview process, please just ask us.
While we see this vacancy as a full-time position, we know that ‘normal’ office hours aren’t always doable, so we have a Flex+ policy in place which allows for core hours and some homeworking during the working week. You would be expected to be fully mobile and travel to other Mercia offices and portfolio companies is required.
In this role you would have responsibility for:
- Management of the regular information flow from our clients and subsequent analysis, interpretation, and critique of financial and commercial aspects.
- Ensuring the timely receipt of management accounts; holding regular client meetings; and ensuring ongoing compliance with the loan agreements for each portfolio company.
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of good financial and corporate governance and working with the investment team and clients to ensure it is followed.
- Supporting the post-investment monitoring of the loan investments, including exit management.
- Making regular reports and reviews to the Portfolio Director or Fund Principal and contributing to investor reporting requirements as appropriate.
- Ensuring that all regulatory and compliance matters are acted upon.
- Keeping our portfolio risk management and CRM system regularly updated.
- Assisting with the preparation of quarterly reporting (written and financial analysis) to our investors as to the financial performance of our clients, and in turn our funds under management.
- Presenting monthly presentations to our wider team in relation to our client portfolio, discussing key matters arising, trading performance and key information using our fund management reporting platform.
- Supporting the Portfolio Director in client meetings as required, as well as developing own client relationships and dialogue on a standalone basis.
- Critique and challenge of business plans / due diligence and ad-hoc financial information that may be required as part of an existing client dialogue.
- Input into our fund management accounting and treasury matters associated with our loan/ investment activity, including receipt of quarterly interest and capital from our clients.
- Other ad-hoc assignments and workstreams as required in a growing business.
- Previous banking, portfolio management experience, or risk management experience is preferable but is not essential.
- A good technical background, e.g. accountancy / banking qualification and / or experience of working in a corporate finance/corporate recovery professional team is essential.
- The ability to build solid internal relationships and external partnerships with investment/portfolio colleagues and assigned portfolio companies.
- Experience of financial analysis and strong analytical skills.
- Good communications skills, internally and externally and comfortable having challenging conversations as appropriate.
- Evidence of solid academic achievement.
- A strong work and team ethic. A professional image.
- We are a collaborative team and so it’s important that you share our Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Responsible/Respectful, Trusted and Connected).
- Ambition and self-motivation – ability to self-manage time and priorities, along with a diligent and considered mindset.
- A “can do”, flexible attitude – we are an entrepreneurial and growing business.
- Strong Excel skills are essential, together with a good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office products.
- Given the regular travel needs, unrestricted mobility is a requirement, with a current / valid driving license enabling you to drive in the UK.
- You should have the right to work in the UK.
What we can offer you:
In addition to your base salary, we offer a broad and exciting range of perks and benefits, including family-friendly policies, wellbeing support, Mercia Spirit charity days, regular 1-2-1’s, mentoring and support with training and career development.
We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender realignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age. In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you prefer to use.